It was in 1808, under Apolline Henriot, that Champagne Henriot was officially founded. She was the niece of the very famous Abbé Godinot, an erudite man who contributed to improvements in viticulture and the making of the Champagne wine. Apolline, an enterprising woman of great character, sold her wines both in France and abroad.
The champagne wines became a huge success with royalty and it was only natural that Champagne Henriot became the favorite firstly at the Dutch court, then in Austria and Hungary with the Hapsburgs. She passed on her savoir-faire to her grandson, Ernest : a family tradition was born.
In 1875, Ernest enlarged the company's holdings and developped the House. At the end of the 19th century, the phylloxera crisis reached the Champagne vineyards but Emile Marguet, (father in law to Paul Henriot) was one of the first to reconstitute his vineyards with grafted stock.
From then on and from generation to generation, the House of Henriot has devoted all its talent to creating the most superb wines from grapes carefully selected from the great "terroirs" on the Montagne de Reims and the Côte des Blancs.
Since 1808, Champagne Henriot, one of the last independent and family-owned houses in Champagne, has pursued a tradition of excellence – a fragile balance between delicacy, intensity, and purity. For seven generations, the family has selected only the very best vineyards, concentrated on the purity of chardonnay and has upheld the utmost respect for time in order to ensure the cuvee has an opportunity to reach its full expression
1640: Native to Lorraine, the family relocated to Champagne around 1640. In Reims, the Henriots engaged in textile and wine brokerage. Little by little, the family acquired vineyards
1791: Acquisition of the Hôtel des Douanes and the Fermes Royales (built in 1760 by the architect Legendre in honour of King Louis XV) by Nicolas Henriot
1794: Nicolas Henriot married Apolline Godinot. Together, they developed a fascination for the culture of the vine and production of wines of quality1808: After the death of her husband, Apolline Henriot decided to continue to develop the vineyards and refine the style of the wines. This young, 33 year-old woman set forth her name and founded Veuve Henriot Ainé.
1850: Henriot was declared Official Supplier to the Imperial and Royal Court of Austria. The house was directed at the time by Ernest Henriot, grandson of Apolline.
1880: Paul Henriot, nephew of Ernest Henriot, married Marie Marguet, who owned vines in the Côtes des Blancs
1905: The brevet of supplier was granted to Alexandre Henriot by Franz-Joseph II, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary.
1926: Etienne Henriot, son of Paul, who had trained as an agronomist, took over the management of the House. With great vision, he expanded the house’s viticultural domain, which then covered nearly 110 hectares (275 acres), always acquiring parcels in the best grands crus.
1957: Death of Etienne Henriot (1889-1957). His son, Joseph Henriot, also a trained agronomist, gradually took over the reins of the family company from 1962