This is produced from vines with an impressive average age of 45 years. The wines tend, according to the vintage, to present heady old vine red and black fruit enriched by toasted oak and refreshed by a lively acidity and minerality.
Château de La Tour, established in 1890, is the largest proprietor of Clos de Vougeot. With six hectares of vines, this covers 12% of the appellation, well sited and housing old and ancient vines, 50 years old on average, with the oldest having been planted in 1910. There are five parcels of vines.
Clos de Vougeot is the largest grand cru in the Côte de Nuits, with over 100 parcels and around eighty owners. There is enormous diversity in terms of terroir – slopes, aspects, altitudes, drainage and underlying geology. Add to that the age of vines, methods of cultivation and winemaking and there is clearly a vast range of styles and qualities produced, all with the Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru label. Château de La Tour owns parcels high up the slope, towards the renaissance manor, in the middle and a little on the lower slope – a true representation of the Clos and a complex palette of ingredients.
Clos de Vougeot
The vineyard of Clos de Vougeot, founded in 1098, is the work of the Abbey of Cîteaux. Established during the time of Saint Bernard, it initially consisted of donations received between 1109 and 1115. Situated between Echézeaux and Musigny, it extends from the gentle slopes of the Côte to the plains. Today, it covers 50 hectares, 9500 square metres and 76 centiares.
In the hands of Cîteaux for nearly 7 centuries, the vineyard of the Clos de Vougeot earnt considerable fame which has made it, along with the vineyards of Chambertin, one of the most famous in Burgundy. Today the vineyard is divided up between 80 owners.
Clos Vougeot is named for the River Vouge, which is in fact only a stream separating Vougeot from Chambolle-Musigny. Monks first planted vine in Clos de Vougeot in the 12th century. Nowadays, protected by a wall of stones, Clos de Vougeot is one of the largest single vineyards in Burgundy producing grand cru wines.