The village of Chambolle-Musigny lies in the very heart of the Côte de Nuits. The Musigny vineyards lie above the Clos de Vougeot between the Premier Cru climat Les Amoureuses and the Grand Cru Échezeaux. The altitude varies from 260 to nearly 300 m. The southern portion rises towards the plot known as Combe d'Orveau which marks the boundary between Musigny and Flagey-Échezeaux.
The Musigny family, which gave its name to the appellation, is now extinct but held important posts at the court of the Dukes of Burgundy in the 14th century. The boundaries of the USIGNY appellation were formally laid down on 16 April 1929, before the advent of the AOC system. It has always been a Grand Cru.
The gradient on this rocky limestone terrace is quite steep (8-14%). The soils, though not deep, are enriched by red clay in the upper section and are generally more clayey and less limey than the neighbouring Grands Crus. The rocks are of Jurassic origin (approx. 150 million years BC).
Red: this brilliant scion of the Côte de Nuits family has a preference for meat - natural enough given the power of its tannins and the lingering complexity of its aromas. But its individuality rests on the breadth of its sensuality in the mouth and the distinction that results from this. This lends it a particular affinity for fine poultry (roasted or stuffed) and feathered game in sauce, braised or - better still - patiently roasted. Glazed duck and crispy roast lamb would be at ease with this iconic burgundy, while cheeses like Cîteaux, Coulommiers or Brie de Meaux will also respond to its generous character.
Serving temperature: 14 to 16 °C
White: if by good fortune you should ever find yourself in the presence of a white Musigny, match it with only the most delicate of dishes - lobster, crawfish, or freshwater crayfish with a butter, cream, and truffle sauce (sauce nantua).
Serving temperature: 12 to 14 °C
In 1924 Georges Roumier settled in Chambolle Musigny taking over the Domain which belonged to his wife's family.
At that time, most of the production was sold to local merchants. In 1945, however, Georges Roumier initiated the practice of domain bottling. Ever since, the name "George Roumier" has enjoyed an increasing reputation.
In 1953, he proceeded to expand the Domain with "Le Clos de la Bussière" in Morey St Denis. In 1953, his son Jean-Marie Roumier took over the Domain Georges Roumier. Following in his father's footsteps, Jean-Marie Roumier expanded the range of appellations, aquiring the vineyards of "Corton Charlemagne" (1968) and "Musigny" (1978).
In 1982, Christophe Roumier and his father Jean-Marie became partners to jointly manage the Domain Georges Roumier. Today, the domain covers 11.8 hectares (including 0.276 ha of Charmes-Chambertin and 0.5436 ha of Ruchottes-Chambertin in sharecropping) and is sread out over 9 different appellations. All of the wines produced are marketed in bottles.