Clos de Vougeot
The vineyard of Clos de Vougeot, founded in 1098, is the work of the Abbey of Cîteaux. Established during the time of Saint Bernard, it initially consisted of donations received between 1109 and 1115. Situated between Echézeaux and Musigny, it extends from the gentle slopes of the Côte to the plains. Today, it covers 50 hectares, 9500 square metres and 76 centiares.
In the hands of Cîteaux for nearly 7 centuries, the vineyard of the Clos de Vougeot earnt considerable fame which has made it, along with the vineyards of Chambertin, one of the most famous in Burgundy. Today the vineyard is divided up between 80 owners.
Clos Vougeot is named for the River Vouge, which is in fact only a stream separating Vougeot from Chambolle-Musigny. Monks first planted vine in Clos de Vougeot in the 12th century. Nowadays, protected by a wall of stones, Clos de Vougeot is one of the largest single vineyards in Burgundy producing grand cru wines.