Trotanoy already had an established reputation for quality towards the end of the 18th century as Pomerol-Giraud, Cru de Trotanoy. This, along with a number of other properties styled themselves as premiers crus. They had, however, little impact on the merchants on the Left Bank and this was reflected in the prices the wines fetched. The Bordeaux reference tome, Cocks and Ferret, first attempted a classification in their 1868 edition (we currently have the 17th edition, published in 2004). Trotanoy is listed there, alongside many of the top Pomerol properties recognised today, second only to Pétrus.
Trotanoy was, at that time, by far the largest of the top names, comprising some twenty-five hectares. Production, in today’s terms, was between 4,000 and 6,000 cases. At the end of the nineteenth century, as is so often the case, the estate had to be broken up to settle inheritance issues and even more land was sold in the 1920s.
The property remained with the Giraud family until the end of World War II when it was sold to a Monsieur Pécresse who subsequently sold it to Jean-Pierre Moueix in 1953. This was the first vineyard Jean-Pierre Moueix purchased and so has a special place in the hearts of his successors. All efforts were made to restore the property to its rightful place in terms of quality and reputation. From the outset the then oenologist Jean-Claude Berrouet and cellarmaster François Veyssière looked after the vinification, as they did at Pétrus. Etablissements Jean-Pierre Moueix now manage the property, under the stewardship of the late Jean-Pierre Moueix’s son, Christian.