Grape variety: 100% Syrah
Soil: Part of the vineyard is located on decomposing granite, known locally as "gore," the other part is on alluvial clay-limestone soil. This kind of soil produces powerful, meaty wines with good tannic structure. This type of granite also gives the wine power and a nice taut acidity.
Harvest: Hand-harvested at maturity.
Vinification: After vinificationn, the ageing process starts and lasts 14 to 16 months. 80% of the wine goes into French oak barrels. The remaining 20% is aged in concrete tanks, which preserves the fruit and minerality expressed on these granitic soils.
Food Matching: Pork, small game, charcuterie
The notoriety of the Cornas vineyard dates back through the centuries. Charlemagne, Saint Louis and Louis XV are cited as regular drinkers of Cornas wines. On the eve of the French Revolution, people spoke of the "black wine" of Cornas. At the beginning of the 19th century, wine from this vineyard was classed with the great wines of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Cornas wine has gained recognition and acclaim among the great wines of the region.
Les Arènes is a combination of several parcels growing on slopes in different early and late-ripening areas that synthesize the best of Cornas: Les Reynards, Patou, Champelrose, Mazards, Les Côtes.
The name of Les Arènes (sands) comes from the term "Arènes granitiques" (granitic sands). This is a geological phenomenon that arises with the decomposition of granite caused by water and wind erosion, giving the soil a sandy nature. The name of the Cornas appellation comes from the Celtic word for "Burnt Land."