When to enjoy Daumas Gassac red vintages
If your cellar is cool (12-16° C) you can lay down your Daumas Gassac for several years.
Equally, if your cellar is not cool enough and you fear the wine may not age well, you’ll thoroughly enjoy your Daumas Gassac while it’s young, say 2, 3 – up to 5 - years after bottling.
Be aware that there are no absolutes for great wines ! There are only great bottles ! Those drunk in moments of peace and calm.
You should also know that, before cloning, the Medoc Cabernet Sauvignon produced incomparable, living wines, wines that grew old beautifully.
It’s up to you to choose which of five lives you prefer.
The five lives of Daumas Gassac vintages
- The period of wine in Fruit: it can be tasted in the first Autumn after bottling. The first glimpse of a new wine, hints of the wine to come.
- The period of Youth: crisp fruit and tannins to the fore. Lasts for three to seven years. It is delicious and invigorating. You should taste it in its youth !
- The period of Maturity: here the velvety tannins appear, and the fruit fades. This period stretches from 7 to 14 years and is when the wine reveals its full complexity.
- The period of Plenitude: when the wine is between 14 and 21 years old. The fruity flavours fade and give way to the “tertiary” aromas, in which hints of dried roses, woodland moss, truffles and game may appear !
- The period of Dreams: over 21 ! Most Daumas Gassac vintages, when kept in a cool cellar with good hygrometry, continue to evolve into magical, dreamlike savours. A treasure for grandsons to discover in granddad’s cellar !