The name Turmberg (literally, tower hill) derives from the surviving keep (central tower) of the fomer castle Burg Scharfenstein. The archbishops of Mainz had the fortress built on the steep crag (240m/ 780 ft in altitude) northeast of Kiedrich in 1160. With it, the Rheingau sovereigns hoped to secure the eastern flank of the Rheingau as well as the important trade route that ran from Eltville to Limburg and Cologne. Cologne was a very important trade center in the Middle Ages, particularly for European wine. Other sources contend that the fortress was built to protect the neighboring hill Gräfenberg. After being cleared in 1109, it was planted with vines. The fortress was ultimately named after the “Scharfensteiner”– those who administered the property on behalf of the archbishops of Mainz. Scharfenstein’s tower and the double, six-spoked wheels in Mainz’s coat of arms have been depicted in Kiedrich’s seal and coat of arms since the Middle Ages.
With the wine law of 1971 and its amendment of the vineyard register, numerous traditional vineyards, like Turmberg, were incorporated into other sides. In 2005, the Turmberg parcel was reinstated as an individual vineyard site consisting of 3.8 ha (9.4 acres). It is solely owned by Weingut Robert Weil.
Turmberg lies on the slopes of a steep, slaty crag. Its stony-gritty soils consist primarily of phyllite mixed with small portions of loess and loam.