Winegrowing at Château Beaumont dates back to 1824. The present château, a pure jewel of Mansart-style architecture, was built in 1854.
From 1830 to 1847, the Maison de Beaumont belonged to the Marquis d’Aligre, one of France’s richest men, who tripled the surface area of the vineyard. In 1849, the estate passed into the hands of the Bonnin brothers who had Château Beaumont built in the Mansart Renaissance style in 1854.
In 1860, the Comte de Gennes, the great uncle of Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, Nobel Prize for Physics in 1991, bought the property. He sold it in 1872 to Jean-Victor Herran, Minister for the Honduras. The Parisian industrialist Joseph Germain succeeded him in 1890 and raised the wines of Château Beaumont to the status of one of the leaders of the Crus Bourgeois Supérieurs of the Médoc. He was responsible for the construction of the vat-house in 1894.
From 1925 to 1986, the estate passed successively from the Della Grazia company of Milan to Lieutenant Colonel Ignacio Andrade, to the former Venezuelan senator Dionisio Ramon Bolivar Carvajal and then to Bernard Soulas, who entirely redeveloped the vineyard and restored the château.
In 1986, Château Beaumont started its 12th life with the arrival of the Groupe GMF, which joined together with the Japanese group Suntory to create the Société Grands Millésimes de France, also the owner of Château Beychevelle, a Saint-Julien Cru Classé and the Bordeaux wine-trading company Barrière Frères.Today GRANDS MILLESIMES DE FRANCE is owned by the CASTEL and SUNTORY Groups.
Add new comment