In the middle of the XVIII century, the property belonged to Gabriel Ferrière, illustrious member of the court of Louis XV. It remained in the family until 1914, when it was sold to Armand Feuillerat, the owner of Chateau Marquis de Terme, another Grand Cru Classé of Margaux. From 1952, the property was rented and the operations were directed by Alexis Lichine. The wine was vinified at Chateau Lascombes.
In 1988, the Villars family bought the vineyards and the château, but the long term rent only ended in 1992. The family then took over the operations of the vineyard and winemaking. With its 12 hectares of vineyards, Chateau Ferriere has the smallest property of the Grands Crus Classés in 1855. Today, Claire Villars‐Lurton is at the origin of this revival. She works with the greatest fineness and succeeded to reveal in her wine the exceptional terroir of Chateau Ferriere.