Spottswoode is a family-owned historic vineyard and winery renowned for its exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon. Established in 1882 by George Schonewald, the estate is distinguished by the pre-prohibition Victorian home depicted on the wine label. Spottswoode was christened by Mrs. Albert Spotts in 1910 and it was acquired by Mary and Jack Novak in 1972. Mary released Spottswoode’s first Cabernet Sauvignon in 1982, exactly one hundred years after the estate’s founding.
Today, Mary’s daughter Beth Novak Milliken manages the winery, and daughter Lindy Novak oversees national marketing. Every year four wines are released: Spottswoode Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Spottswoode Sauvignon Blanc, Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon, and Field Book Syrah. The Novak family is committed to producing wines with integrity that faithfully reflect their grape origins, and Spottswoode wines are especially known for their refined elegance, balance, and classic structure.
Historic Buildings & Winery
The Estate has three historic buildings that were originally built circa 1884–1885. The Colonial Revival-style, with its famous stone pillar entry gates and the elegant “Spottswoode” letters that arc over the driveway, is surrounded by formal gardens with plants that date back to the same era! The Victorian farmhouse now serves as our winery office and the Kraft Cellar is a pre-Prohibition stone building where our Cabernet Sauvignon is barrel-aged. We’ve added a tasting room and a state-of-the-art winery, each designed to honor the historic nature of our buildings.
Copyright © Spottswoode Estate Vineyard & Winery