For almost four centuries, the Trimbach Family has been promoting Alsace and its History, its exceptional terroirs and fine wines. Maison Trimbach is still located in Ribeauvillé and still owned by the two grandsons of Frédéric Théodore, Bernard and Hubert, since their father's untimely death in 1945. Pierre and Jean, Bernard's sons, the 12th generation, have joined the Firm in 1979 for Pierre and 1985 for Jean to work on the vinification for the first one and on the promotion of the wines for the second one.
The viticultural origin of the Trimbach Family dates back to 1626, when Jean Trimbach, who had come from Sainte Marie aux Mines, was recognised as a citizen of Riquewihr. From then on, the Trimbachs became renowned for their wine-growing. Jean-Jacques Trimbach, born in Riquewihr on the 6th February 1633, and later his son Jean, born on the 18th March 1677, were successively mayor of the little village. The next Jean-Jacques Trimbach, born in 1750, decided to become a master cooper – an activity which fitted in admirably with the viticultural vocation of the Family. The Family tree continues with Jean-Louis Trimbach, born on the 12th of May 1783, whose son Jean-Frédéric, born on the 18th of June 1811 took an important position in what used to be called the wine « gourmetage » in the village of Hunawihr, well known for its excellent wines and especially for its Riesling. The transfer of his activities to Hunawihr dates back to the 1840's.
He was the mayor of the village for many years. His oldest son, Frédéric Emile, born in Riquewihr on the 20th of December 1839, stepped into his shoes in Hunawihr. Frédéric Emile really developped the business on the lines of the present House of Trimbach. He gave the firm his two initials « F.E » which have been kept ever since. The highest quality certificate given to Mr F.E. Trimbach for his wines at the international show of Brussels in 1898 testifies to their already established prestige.